Port of Townsville Limited (POTL) manages the ports of Townsville and Lucinda and both ports are located within the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area operating within close proximity to a number of sensitive environments. POTL operates under an Environmental Management System (EMS) accredited to International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) 14001:2015 and is committed to the protection of the environment, and sustainable development and operation through responsible environmental management. POTL strives to continually improve both environmental performance and the effectiveness of its controls via the EMS.
The Environment and Planning Team ensure all activities, approvals and developments undertaken by POTL are in accordance with environment and planning legislation, standards, and POTL’s own controls and EMS. POTL is committed to the protection of the long term operation of its ports through:
- Strong environmental management to protect the sensitive environments around the Port, working closely with customers and regulators to ensure current port operations and future port developments have no significant impact on surrounding sensitive environments.
- Undertaking environmental monitoring and research programs to better understand and enhance the knowledge of our surroundings and improve knowledge for better management outcomes.
- Meeting the day-to-day statutory planning objectives of the organisation and developing a strategic framework for the planning, and long term operation of the port, to respond to future growth requirements in a structured and sustainable manner.
- Providing good planning outcomes and facilitating development in a functional and reliable manner to meet the needs of the customers and port users whilst considering the long term direction and intent of POTL.
- Seeking approvals for day to day operations and future developments.
- Responding to incidents and working with port customers.
Need further information or want to report something you're concerned about?
Contact the Port of Townsville's Manager Environment and Planning on 07 4781 1500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.