More pages in this section
Page last updated on 21-09-2023.
Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the Port’s security gates? Lay your curiosity to rest with a behind-the-scenes tour of the Port of Townsville.
We can facilitate tours for corporate, community and school groups, including the hire of buses for groups that do not have access to their own transport.
Guided tours of our Port generally take 30 to 45 minutes and include inspections of each different area of the port including the eight operational berths.
Tours can be tailored to suit the interests and needs of your group and pre-tour presentations can be requested at the time of booking.
Topics include the Port Expansion Project; Environmental monitoring and management; Supply chain logistics; Trade; Port careers and more.
Make a day of it
We highly recommend combining your Port tour with a visit to the Maritime Museum of Townsville.
Their exhibit, Rise of Our Port City, balances education and entertainment in a hands-on display all about the shared history between Townsville and the Port.
- A series of virtual reality stories showcasing how the Port operates
- Videos about activities and events at the Port
- A large touch-and-play table with nine educational games
- A ship simulator letting users pilot a range of ships into harbours around the world
- A live Vessel Tracker providing information on vessels passing through Cleveland Bay
- A timeline featuring enthralling stories that have contributed to North Queensland’s development; and
- Dusty old ledgers and shipping registers from the early 1900s and a collection of model indigenous watercraft and Port relics
Contact the Museum directly to arrange a group visit.
Bring your school group
Primary and Secondary teachers of subjects such as Geography, Science, Technology and Interconnections often bring their students on a Port tour.
Students will witness port operations first-hand, raising their interest and knowledge of port operations and how it directly benefits their own lives.
To arrange tour of the Port of Townsville, please contact during business hours:
p (07) 4781 1500